Germany Flag Germany

Country Overview

Business Culture

Clothing Size Guides


Cost of Living

Culture and Society


Driving and Autos

Economy and Trade


Educational Resources


Export Process

Food Culture and Drink



Health and Medical


Holidays and Festivals

Import Process


Kids' Stuff


Life Stages


Media Outlets

Money and Banking



National Symbols

Points of Interest

Quality of Life

Real Estate


Security Briefing

Social Indicators

Travel Essentials

Travel Essentials: Customs Entry (Personal)


  • Birds and poultry from countries infected with Avian Influenza
  • Endangered species
  • Food of specific variety (i.e., potatoes, vine and vine leaves, soil from most of the East European and non- European countries
  • Narcotics (including opium, heroin, cocaine, synthetic drugs (ecstasy, LSD), hashish (cannabis) and marijuana, methadone, morphine or codeine)
    *These may be carried only if an appropriate official certificate has been issued in Germany by the prescribing physician and certified by the supreme executive council
  • Personal consignments of meat, meat products, milk and milk products, originated in non-E.U. countries with the exception of:
    a.)  powdered infant milk, infant food and special foods required for medical reasons provided that:
    the product does not require refrigeration before consumption; it is a packaged brand product;
    the packaging is unbroken.
    b.)  personal consignments from the Faeroe Islands, Greenland, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland with a combined total weight that does not exceed 5 kg.
    c.)  personal consignments from Andorra, Norway and San Marino.
    d.)  upon arrival; when goods are declared by an authorized E.U. border inspection post for veterinary control. Goods must be accompanied by the necessary documentation from the official veterinary services of the country of origin, stating that the goods conform to the requirements for entry into the E.U.
    Note: up to 1 kg of other food from animal origin, if authorized, can be imported, without submitting it for veterinary control.
  • Pornographic literature (including sound and image media) deals with violence, sexual abuse of children or sexual activities of humans with animals.


  • Firearms and ammunition
  • Food
    1.) If brought in from Asian, American, African states or Australia, you will always need a phytosanitary certificate issued by the country of origin for the plants, parts of plants or plant products you bring.
    2.) The importation of single plants, cut flowers or plant products (fruit up to 10 kg) is permissible without any phytosanitary certificate if they are intended for private use and imported from European third countries and the neighboring Mediterranean area
  • Pets
    Animal requires rabies vaccinated at least 30 days but no more than 12 months prior to its entry. Proof of examination must be presented at customs/border. Dogs and cats require an identification number, either on a clearly visible tattoo or as a microchip; number must correspond to one on the proof of examination. For travel between European Union countries, pets must have a passport issued by a licensed veterinarian. Animal requires rabies vaccinated at least 30 days but no more than 12 months prior to its entry. Proof of examination must be presented at customs/border.